Sunday, April 29, 2007

Second show, second rally novice leg


As I said, I entered Cash in novice rally at the Seward County Kennel Club show this weekend. First show, first leg on Saturday with a score of 83 (it was a cheap leg, but a leg nonetheless). I thought for sure he had NQ'd as he was sniffing something terrible (tracking, anyone?) I know sniffing can be a sign of stress, but frankly, I think he is just nosy and interested in EVERYTHING. Apparently it's not against the AKC rules to slap the floor to get a dog's attention (I had already done everything else I could think of). It didn't scare him and when he looked at me, I said, "Hi, how bout we quit making the nice judge wait?" in a cheery voice. He completed the rest of the course well enough to qualify. Whew!

Today we had one more dog in competition than on Saturday and I decided to pick up my pace to see if the faster motion would eliminate the sniffing. It really helped and going to the second to last sign, we had a score of 98 going, but then disaster struck. At the moving down sign, he sat down to scratch. I just said "Aggghhh" and was joined by the audience and the judge! He finished the final sign perfectly, of course. One lousy little bobble and poof there goes first place. He ended up in second place with a score of 88 and his second leg in two shows so I guess I can't complain too much.

The only minor down side was I picked Cash up in the ring after the ribbons were awarded because we were between a Dalmatian and a smooth Collie who were both eyeing him like he was a fluffy squeak toy, and his personality is to eye them right back. Discretion is the better part of valor and since I didn't want him to leave the ring with holes in him, I grabbed him. Two of my instructors told me later that was a no-no in AKC. I told them I understand, but no way was I letting him get hurt because of what I consider a stupid rule, and if they took back the score and the leg so be it. I talked to the judge afterward and she didn't mention it, so I must have skated that one. I'll just have to be more careful in the future and stay off to the side with him when we go back in for ribbons.

My friend, Loretta, the Boxer owner called me last night and asked if I would mind if she showed Echo today. Mind? Heck, no! I couldn't understand why she asked me to show her yesterday. Loretta has finished two conformation champions in the past, but apparently came down with a nasty case of ring nerves. Anyway, she is entering Echo in several shows I can't go to due to prior commitments, and she needs to get back in the ring.

2 comments:

Avalon said...

Love, love, LOVE the picture of him looking up so intently!

I would have done the same thing with one of my "littles" had there been a hinky-acting bigger dog around. Screw the judges!

Julie said...

Yeah, when he's on, he's ON! But it's ugly when he's not. He won't be two until mid June so he's still pretty young. I talked to Cash's breeder who shows in conformation, obedience and rally and she suggested waiting to be the last one going back in for ribbons so I can place myself between him and the next dog. Hope we get that opportunity at the next show June 2 & 3 at Avoca, IA.