Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Progress.... YES!

We actually saw some real progress tonight at agility class. First area was two sets of 2x2 weaves about 15 ft. apart. Cash consistently found the entry with me on either side and had great speed. Next was the dogwalk or in our case, the stairs. In previous classes this session, two of the 3 instructors had put Cash on the DW but now the ante has been upped. He will hold a 2o2o and will do a head bob with an occasional actual touch, but the instructors now expect a solid touch, so back to the stairs. He's solid on the 2o2o but looks at me more than he should. Something to work on.

Next section was the teeter, something he was somewhat fearful of a couple of weeks ago, but better last week. Tonight he was charging down the teeter with it set at about a 6 inch drop onto a table and solidly holding all four feet on the end. YAY!

We then did a sequence of a jump, tunnel, back to the first jump the other way, table, tire, jump. To be able to play he had to hold a start line stay, and DID! However, Christy said I owed her a DQ blizzard if he tunnel sucked after the last jump. (What size and flavor would you like?)

Last sequence was four jumps set up about 15 ft. apart, side by side, in a square.

Kind of like:

__3___ __2___



__4___ __1___



Dog facing North starting at bottom right jump. Jump, jump, turn to left, dog heading South, jump, jump. The idea is for the handler to try not to move out of the middle. It's tougher than it looks but Cash did great and I needed to super glue my shoes to the floor.

Next sequence:

__2___ __3___



_____ __1/4___



Handler does a pivot into the dog directing him to jump 2, 3, 4. Once again Cash must have listened to the instructions because he did it perfect, no matter what I did. I am beginning to think I should have paid more attention in those dance classes my parents sent me to when I was a kid because graceful I am not.

I felt very encouraged after class and am actually feeling like we're making progress.

No comments: