Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Back to agility class

Tonight was our first class of this 6-week session. We are still in Obstacles. We need solid contacts and weaves to move on to Handlers class.

Our first exercise tonight was the dogwalk. Cash has developed height issues, or maybe common sense. I was disappointed that he wasn't solid on holding his "touch" at the bottom and was relegated back to the stairs after trying him at the top of one ramp and telling him "Go touch" several times. On the stairs he would hold the contact. I tried him a few times with success and put him back in his crate to think about it.

Between exercises there were jumps, a tunnel, table and tire set up so we ran a couple of sequences successfully and with lots of praise before some more crate time. I must say the rally has helped his start line stay as it was rock solid all night.

Our turn on the A frame was much better with driving to the bottom and holding the contact while I walked away and around him. Perhaps crate time to think about it helped, but I was encouraged by his progress after 6 weeks away from any class time in agility.

We all ran sequences starting with Cash since he jumps 12" in AKC agility (but 8" in rally). The pattern was a tunnel to a jump, jump, tire, front cross, jump, tunnel. Needing to lose some weight, I'm always working distance with him and thought about layering the last jump to the tire, but my instructor was having none of it and wanted a front cross before the last jump. She said after the tire it was an RLH move. I looked at her with a raised eyebrow and she said, "Run Like Hell...RLH." The first run thru as he was jumping the tire, I hollered "here" and my direction was too late and he took the jump in front of him instead of turning in to me to take the jump he needed to. The second time I used his name and got it out quick enough to get the front cross in and then turn him to take the tunnel. My God he is quick and turns on a dime. Da mamma just needs to get information to him faster. All in all a pretty good class.

No comments: